As the start of the holiday season draws ever closer, it is important to continually monitor how your customers are shopping online and how their behaviors might be changing. The digital landscape is ever evolving and marketers need to be able to optimize on the fly to the changing ecommerce trends.
We see some of the follow trends for September 2020 compared to September 2019:
- The Apparel and Home Furnishing retail categories are now experiencing the highest growth for the first half of September 2020, compared to September 2019.
- New customers created a lot of revenue growth early on during the coronavirus pandemic; however, sustaining continually new customer growth can be difficult. This holiday season, however, people are open to trying new online brands so there are still chances for all retail industries to capture new market share.
- The covid customer will rely more on mobile for searching and shopping as the holiday season draws near, so ensure your mobile site is optimized and loads quickly.
The year-over-year changes from September 1-20, 2019 compared to the same timeframe in 2020 is as follows:
Food and Grocery Ecommerce Trends
- Website conversions increased 14%
- Transactions decreased 18%.
- Average order value (AOV) rose 11%.
- Percentage of mobile orders dropped by 1%.
- Orders by new shoppers decreased 47%.
Apparel Industry Ecommerce Trends
- Website conversions jumped 30%
- Transactions rose 18%.
- AOV increased 2%.
- Percentage of mobile orders increased 19%.
- Orders by new shoppers skyrocketed 57%.
Gifting Industry Ecommerce Trends
- Website conversions decreased 12%
- Transactions dropped 6%.
- AOV increased 5%.
- Percentage of mobile orders jumped 9%.
- Orders by new shoppers increased 2%.
Home Furnishing Ecommerce Trends
- Website conversions rose 32%
- Transactions skyrocketed 93%.
- AOV increased 5%.
- Percentage of mobile orders increased 3%.
- Orders by new shoppers soared 85%.
Pet Supplies Ecommerce Trends
- Website conversions increased 2%
- Transactions increased 30%.
- AOV dropped by 2%.
- Percentage of mobile orders rose 12%.
- Orders by new shoppers jumped 52%.
Tools and Hardware Ecommerce Trends
- Website conversions fell 8%
- Transactions jumped 42%.
- AOV rose 10%.
- Percentage of mobile orders jumped 20%.
- Orders by new shoppers soared 35%.
Interested in a more in-depth analysis of these pre-holiday trends? Join NetElixir this Friday at 1 PM ET for our new webinar, Pre-Holiday Consumer Trends & Retail Data Insights. During this short, insights-packed webinar, you’ll get an exclusive preview of the latest real-time ecommerce and consumer data analytics and NetElixir’s top 10 predictions for this holiday season. Register now at https://www.netelixir.com/webinar/.