The week leading to Labor Day this year saw a significant spike in online sales for our retail clients. Y/Y sales grew (average) by 73% during this week. The spike was experienced by retailers across 7 retail categories from consumer electronics to home furnishings.
Some interesting SEM research facts pertaining to online sales (week of Aug 26) –
- Consumers are spending more time in research prior to making online purchase: Same day sales % has come down from 57% (last year) to 46% (this year).
- Last minute purchases before the promo gets over: Greater % revenue was generated this year between 5pm and midnight compared to 2012 (52% this year vs. 48% in 2012).
- iPad remains the largest mobile sales driver. However, Galaxy S4 outperformed iphone as a sales driver.
- The number of paid search clicks grew by 5% over last year, however, the conversion rates were 30% higher and click through rates (in some cases) were more than double!
- Paid Search’s contribution to site-wide sales (PPC Sales/ total sales) during this week went up by almost 26%.
A strong Labor Day weekend sale has (historically) been a strong indicator of a successful holiday shopping season. We are optimistic about a strong online holiday season.
Join our webinar on September 20, 2pm for more insights on “2013 Holiday Planning + Calendar”.